Current issues affecting Travel

Get Government advice before you go

UK Government travel advice

Always check appropriate Government advice before you travel. We would recommend that you check local advice for your destination and UK FCDO advice

World Health Organisation Advice

World Health Organisation advice
Country advice from the World Health Organisation.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you CANNOT travel due to a government or local authority directive

If the area you are visiting has been declared as unsafe to travel to, you should contact your travel/accommodation providers to request cancellation, alteration or an alternative to your booked trip. In most circumstances, the travel/accommodation provider should offer a refund or other option as they are unable to fulfil their contract with you.
Please note that this will only apply if you are travelling soon, as advice could change meaning that the area could become safe again before your planned trip.
If you do not obtain a full refund from the provider, you may be able to submit an insurance claim, depending on the cover that you have purchased. Please check your policy terms and contact our office if you are unsure whether you are covered for this situation.

If you do not WANT to travel due to concerns about Coronavirus

If the area is still accepting visitors and there is no governmental directive advising against travel there, it will be classed as ‘disinclination to travel’ if you choose to cancel or change your trip. You should contact the travel/accommodation providers to see if they are able to make any changes but you should be aware that they are not obliged to do so.
There is no cover on Travel Insurance for disinclination to travel.

If you CANNOT travel because you have contracted the virus or have been placed in compulsory quarantine

If you have not yet left home and cannot travel for this reason, you can submit a Cancellation claim on your Travel Insurance.
If you become ill during your trip with Coronavirus, you would be able to submit a claim for any medical expenses incurred in the same way as if you became ill for any other reason.
If you are placed in compulsory quarantine during your trip and are unable to return home on the date originally planned, most Travel Insurance cover will automatically extend until you return home, provided you are able to produce a medical certificate confirming that it was compulsory and not voluntary quarantine. If you are placed in compulsory quarantine during the period of the pre-booked holiday, causing you to lose the benefits of the holiday for more than 24hrs, you may be able to submit a claim: please check your policy terms or contact our office.

If you need to make alternative arrangements to avoid an affected area

If your pre-booked travel, accommodation or excursions need to be amended for this reason, you should contact your travel/accommodation provider to see what they are able to do to help. Their obligations to you will be affected by whether there has been an official directive or if it is your choice to amend your plans.

If you have not been vaccinated

Some travel insurance policies will not cover claims relating to Coronavirus if you have not received the recommended doses of a recognised vaccine more than 14 days before travel.
This is not a requirement on all of the policies that we offer, so if you have not been vaccinated either through choice, because you are ineligible, or cannot have it due to medical reasons as shown on your medical records, please contact our office for more information.

post-Brexit impact on travel

Prior to Brexit, travel between the UK and EU was relatively simple, with minimal passport checks and no visa requirements for UK and EU passport holders. Changes in regulations since the UK left the EU were further complicated by Covid-19 travel restrictions, and although most of these have now been lifted, many people travelling from or to the UK will have some concerns about possible problems and delays when considering trips which were previously straightforward.
The need for good Travel Insurance cover is more important than ever.

Do UK nationals need a visa when visiting an EU country?

UK nationals will be able to visit the EU for up to 90 days in any 180 day period. This means that if you travel to France for 2 weeks then Spain for a month, the total period is less than 90 days.

A visa or permit may be required if you travel for longer periods, will be working or studying or are a business traveller.

Will I need a new UK passport?

No, however you should check when your current passport is due to expire. UK nationals will now need to have at least 6 months remaining on their passport when visiting an EU country, with the exception of the Republic of Ireland.

Is the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) still valid?

The EHIC entitles EU citizens to state-provided medical treatment if they fall ill or have an accident in an EU country (plus any other country which has signed up to the scheme).

Following Brexit, the UK now issues a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which provides similar cover to the EHIC. All EHIC cards issued to UK nationals before the end of 2020 will remain valid until the expiry date shown on the front of the card.

While it has never been a substitute for Travel Insurance, the GHIC does provide a 'safety net' for travellers but should never be relied upon entirely. It does not cover the costs of Repatriation in the event of illness or injury and will not cover some treatment relating to existing medical conditions.

The best protection when travelling overseas has always been a good quality Travel Insurance policy and this is even more important if you do not have the benefit of the GHIC scheme. Even when using the GHIC, there are limitations which make buying travel insurance an essential part of your holiday booking.

I am an EU resident. Can I still buy insurance cover?

We offer a range of policies for customers living all over the World. When you select the policy type that you are interested in buying, for example Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance, you will be asked where you live and will receive a quote for the most appropriate policy for your needs, so you can rest assured that the policy will be valid for residents of your Home Country.

Has Brexit affected Car Rental Insurance?

Our Car Rental Insurance is available to residents of most countries world-wide, so this policy will continue to be valid for purchase by EU residents. UK residents will continue to be covered when hiring in the EU and EU residents will be covered when hiring in the UK.

As Brexit may have had an impact on acceptable Driving Licences, particularly for UK expats living in the EU, it is important to ensure that your licence is valid when renting a vehicle.