Take a quick look at this little list to maximise enjoyment on your next break abroad!
1. Don’t Get Robbed
- Invest in a slash-proof backpack.
- Keep valuables locked up in a hotel safe.
- Or better yet – leave valuables at home unless they are essential for your travel plans.
- Research travel scams for your destination.
- Carry a second “fake” wallet or purse.
- Beware of what you wear, it could be a sign of wealth even if you don’t think it is that valuable or just scream “tourist”, making you way more vulnerable to scammers and opportunistic thieves.
- Keep your bag attached to you at all times, either with a carabiner or with a strap wrapped around you.
2. Don’t Get Lost
- Make sure all maps are available offline.
- Take a hardcopy map in case you lose your ‘phone or it runs out of power.
- Tell someone your itinerary and keep friends and family updated with travel plans.
- Pay attention to where you are going!
- If you are travelling on a package holiday have the helpline number handy.
- If you aren’t on a package, make sure you have a phrase book to help you ask for directions and/or help.
3. Don’t Forget Your Travel Insurance – it can cover you for:
- Medical costs in case of illness or injury.
- Cancelled or missed flights.
- Lost or stolen passport.
- Lost or damaged belongings.
At worldwideinsure.com we can tailor a policy to suit your needs and situation – whether that is travelling with expensive equipment, or an existing medical condition, or making sure you are covered for specific activities and excursions.
4. Don’t Get Injured or ill
- Pack a first aid kit.
- Use a filtered water bottle.
- Check any bottled drinks you are given have not been previously opened.
- Only eat peelable fruit.
- Avoid salads, opt for fully cooked food.
5. Be Prepared
- Write down emergency contact numbers.
- Have digital copies available somewhere of all essential info such as passport info and travel insurance emergency number.
- Hide emergency cash in a chap stick/hairbrush/underwear.
- Learn basic self defence.