Seeing this beautiful planet we live on doesn’t have to be bad for the environment, or the local communities you are visiting. In fact, tourism can play a big part in helping make this world a better place, as well as benefiting the lives of those who rely on tourism. Here are some top tips for being an even more eco-minded traveller on your next trip and ways to support the community you are visiting.
- Consider travelling by train rather than by plane where possible.
- Choose non-stop flights to minimise CO2 emissions.
- Use public transport for transfers and travelling at your destination.
- Take a reusable water bottle – more and more places are installing water coolers for people to refill from as an alternative to buying bottled water.
- Say “no” to straws and plastic cups at bars, restaurants, hotels, trains and planes.
- Eat local cuisine with low food miles.
- Choose vegetarian dishes over meat dishes.
- Ask if the food you’re choosing is sustainably caught or grown.
- Keep showers short.
- Switch off the electrics in your hotel, apartment or hostel.
- Ask housekeeping not to change sheets and towels daily.
- Open windows instead of using air con.
- Choose resorts and hotels that are eco-minded.
- Choose packages that give back to the local community.
- Book excursions with local tour operators rather than the package provider.
- Join a local litter pick.
- Choose to do activities with minimal impact on the local environment such as hiking and biking.
- Share images of plastic pollution on social media to raise awareness and prompt change.
Don’t forget your travel insurance! Loads of activities are covered as standard with Worldwideinsure.com, and every policy can be tailored to meet your unique adventure needs.