Air travel is a mixed bag of experiences. Waiting, rushing, mild panic, boredom, elation, feeling travel sick… Here are a few things you can do to even out those highs and lows and be a bit less stressed next time you travel by aeroplane.
Hacks for before you check in
- Customise your hold bag – bright tape is perfect for making your luggage stand out at baggage collection.
- Pack all essentials in your hand luggage – just in case your hold bag goes missing, you’ll still have your chargers and toiletries to get you through the first day.
- Download all your tickets and passes – just in case you have no connectivity make sure you can access them offline!
- Have a hard copy of all essential travel documents – just in case your phone gives up altogether.
- Take a photo of where you park – bay 6B is not memorable after a week in the Bahamas.
- Wear your bulky items – to avoid paying for extra baggage.
Hacks for before you go through security
- Pack your devices and liquids at the top of your hand luggage – it saves time!
- Empty your pockets before you get to security – it saves time!
- Finish up the water in your bottle – so you can get a cheap refill the other side.
- Choose the security queue with business travellers – they tend to be more prepared so go through faster.
- Never queue behind families, hen parties or stag dos – they tend to faff more and be less prepared so go through slower.
- Choose the left queue – apparently most people are right-handed so will go right as it is easier. Left hand lanes should therefore be quicker.
Hacks to get you through the wait the other side
- Use headphones for noise cancellation – not for music so you don’t miss important announcements.
- Connect to the airport Wi-Fi – or risk maxing out your data allowance before you even get to your destination.
- Brush up on key phrases – Duolingo is an addictive language learning game and will make the time fly while you actually boost your language skills!
- If you haven’t already got it, get your travel insurance! A call with the lovely team at worldwideinsure.com will make the time fly while you’re waiting for your flight.
Hacks for on the plane
- Board last – if you are the last on, you may well get that elusive upgrade.
- Sit over the wing – you are less likely to feel turbulence. Morning flights are less likely to be turbulent too.
- Don’t sit by the bulkhead – that’s the safest place to secure babies in bassinets, so more likely to be where the screaming is.
- Ask for seconds if you are hungry – not all passengers take their meal so why not have what’s leftover if you are still hungry.