Travelling alone is a fabulous way to explore the world and make new friends, but it can also be a risky adventure. We certainly don’t want to rain on your parade, but forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes! Here are our top tips for staying safe as a solo traveller.
Do Your Research
- Research your destination’s crime rate, local laws, customs and language.
- Stay where there are other people – a hotel, hostel or apartment.
- Check accommodation reviews before you book.
- Ask what security measures your accommodation in place – such as making sure your room has a lockable door if in shared space.
- Learn basic phrases in the local language so you can get help or directions if needed.
- Memorise the local emergency number.
- Make sure you have an electronic copy of all your documents.
- Plan an itinerary and let a friend or family member know.
- Set up a service like Find My Friends so someone you trust can see where you are at all times.
- Avoid posting too much information about your trip on social media. Especially details like how long you’ll be away for, that you are travelling solo, or your itinerary.
- Note down the number of the nearest embassy or consular office in your host country.
- Get travel insurance that covers loss, theft, and repatriation.
Get street savvy
- Keep your valuables in a safe place at your accommodation.
- Carry as little cash as possible and use credit cards where possible.
- Avoid showing off expensive gadgets such as phones and cameras
- Don’t wear expensive jewellery and accessories.
- Don’t wear headphones or look at your phone while walking.
- Be aware of your surroundings and stay alert so you can avoid potentially dangerous situations.
- Avoid looking at maps for a long time in a tourist area.
- After dark it’s best to go in pairs or groups when possible.
- Walk in well-lit areas and avoid shortcuts that are less well lit.
- If you are going to a bar or club never leave your drink unattended.
Get travel insurance that meets the unique needs of your trip, whether you plan to hike, snowboard, dive or just relax and take in your surroundings. Contact one of our team on 01892 833338 or get an instant online quote!