If you are considering heading off to the piste this winter to enjoy some fun in the snow, you need to make sure that you are equipped to deal with the weather, and of course an injury – so you need really good wintersports insurance (a speciality of ours – see our blatant self promotion below!)
Skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing and parapenting to name but a few wintersports are activities with a higher than average injury rate, with stats suggesting that the majority of injuries are from the popular pastimes of downhill skiing and snowboarding.
User error is the root cause of most injuries, with is isolated falls from going too fast, or tackling a terrain that is beyond the skills set of the person in question being the main cause. Collisions are responsible for 10% of injuries, as are lift related incidents, and finally 5% of injuries are due to equipment failure.
Most Common Ski and Snowboarding Injuries
- 90% of all injuries involve an arm or leg
- In skiers 60% of injuries are to the lower half of the body
- The most common skiing injury is a damaged ACL, a very important ligament in the knee (21%)
- 12 % of skiers sustain a damaged MCL, another very important ligament in the knee
- Skiers Thumb affects 7% of skiers
- The most common injury in snowboarding involves the wrist (20%)
- 12% of snowboarders sustain a soft tissue injury in the shoulder
- Ankle sprains affect 6% of snowboarders
Avoiding Injury on the Slopes
Warm Up – it is easier to injure a cold muscle than a warmed up one. Do some stretching before hand and ease yourself into those difficult slopes or more challenging manoeuvres.
Familiarise yourself with your surroundings – go out in good visibility so you can see where rocks, trees and treacherous patches may be, that way avoiding them will be a lot easier and less likely to result in injury.
Stay alert! – Tiredness can lead to lack of concentration and reduced reaction time as well as poor decision making. Rest well and avoid alcohol before taking to the slopes.
However, accidents do happen, no matter how well prepared you are, so you need travel insurance that won’t break the bank even if you break a collar bone! Talking of which…
Blatant Self Promotion
We are a leading provider of insurance for adrenaline junkies who like to push themselves to the limits in colder climates. Our ski insurance can cover the following winter activities:
- On piste skiing/snowboarding
- Off piste skiing/snowboarding
- Cross country skiing/snowboarding
- Ski touring
- Ski acrobatics/jumping/racing
- Bob sleigh/skeletons
- Glacier walking
If you are heading off on holiday, get in touch for a quote. We can tailor your policy to meet your needs whatever activities you decide to do!